Wednesday, September 22, 2010

VACATION FOR THE LAST TIME!

Well it's been a while since my last post, and that's because I've been on vacation!  Yep, I headed back to the United States for some Rest and Relaxation with la familia.

The first part of my vacation was in Houston.  I wanted to see friends and catch-up on work at the corporate office.  I also wanted to check on my motorcycles, which have been sitting with Greg Hale at MC Creations.  I drove-up to MC Creations on Saturday, anxious to see my 1952 Panhead.  The frame had been painted after I left for Saudi Arabia and I had not seen it yet.  The paint didn't disappoint.  I have been working on this bike since 1996, when I first bought the wishbone frame for $300 from a guy in Oakland.  The motor I found in 2001 when Greg turned me onto a customer who had a '52 Pan motor for sale, along with the transmission and belt drive.  Over the last 9 years I have slowly put parts together and let Greg's frame guy work the frame straight and create the nicks and nacks that would make the bike different.  Here are some pictures taken through the years.

Here's a couple of years ago...



And a little farther along...



And in real good shape...but you notice that rusty frame?



Now look at that pretty frame!



So you can see the awesome black paint on this frame now.  I have decided to keep the blue tank in the pictures above and just have it repainted the same color with a glossy finish; the fender will be the same blue.  The guys at MC insist that I need something on the tank to finish off the bike.  They are thinking the #1 like Evil Knievel's old Harley cycles - you know, the ones he broke all his bones on.  I am not sure about that.  I need some help from my friends in blog world.  What do you think?

The second part of my vacation was in Park City, Utah.  My parents rent a home up in the mountains every summer.  They have been doing this for about 3 years now. The first year it was a 4-week adventure...last year it was 6 weeks.  This year they rented it for a whole 2 months.  My Mom enjoys tennis and the relaxing environment, both for walks and cruising through Park City's open markets.  My Dad hits the Provo River to fly fish.  When I visit I indulge in all of the above...except tennis of course.  My charge towards Olympic glory in water polo requires that I not run at all.  I have a great time fishing with my Dad.  I even catch a fish occasionally.



After a relaxing week in Utah I headed to Phoenix to start my MBA program at Thunderbird.  Pursuing my MBA was a big decision for me.  I am 37 years young and the average age at the program is 31.  That's not exactly youth, but still a decent few years below me.  I've traveled and worked all around the world and it made me nervous as to whether an MBA program would provide me with much.  Thunderbird is the top ranked international management program in the world, but getting an MBA is an expensive proposition.  As is always the case, God bumped me along and some key friends encouraged me at the perfect time.  So off to school I went.  Hot off a nice vacation, I was hoping my week in Phoenix would be standard management stuff: teamwork assignments, lectures, get-to-know you crap, etc.  WRONG!  Everyday all 53 suckers in the program would rise at 7am and not hit the room until after 10pm.  We were busy beyond belief, and the program content was awesome.  My fellow students were equally impressive and I can only humbly thank God again for being God.  Now it's 19 months of pure work.

After Phoenix I headed to Los Angeles to finish the vacation in style.  I was heading to the Willmer's house!  There are now seven Willmers, five of whom are rocking and rolling all the time.  From the moment I surprised them at the door, we had our foot pressing the pedal all the way to the floor.  I love my nieces and nephews.  We went and watched Brian's APU team win a big game in San Diego.  We practiced gymnastics in the backyard, which was the most painful and humiliating event of the visit - I can't seem to stretch much at all these days.  We had a trampoline extravaganza, where I proved my worth with some awesome feet-to-stomach-to-feet-to-butt-to-feet bouncing.  The crowd went wild.  In case you're curious, my new blog wallpaper was taken from one of my awesome bounces.  We also ate awesome food and sang Miley Cyrus like it was opera!  Thank you Willmers for always making visits so totally awesome.  Marty and Marta will be with me next time.

So I am back in Saudi Arabia.  Eid has ended and I have 10 days to prepare for the Dubai water polo tournament.  I haven't been able to swim on this vacation so the tournament could be rough.  Here is where we'll be playing.



Yep, we're battling some waves in this "pool."  Updates to come friends.  In the meantime, I need paint ideas!!!!


Matt

6 comments:

  1. First of all, thanks for the love shout out to the Willmers. We miss your trampoline expertise, and your cartwheel and headstand attempts. I also am amazed by your next water polo game site-that is unreal!!! That beats any back drop Cal or De Anza afforded you for sure. You've got to include photos from that one if you get a chance. Lastly, two Willmer's have input for your motorcycle: Addie thinks clown fish would be spectacular and Emma thinks Marty, Marta, and Morrey would make for a nice look. I like simple, so there you go :) Glad you are back safely, it was way too much fun seeing you (no more tears over here from the girls, just excitement for Christmas dress up dinner).

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Lindsay - the Willmers deserve the grandest shout outs! I guess the BIG RACE hasn't gone public in the Willmer household? Maybe we should combine the race with a dress-up theme? Then we have to swim in those clothes. I'll take the tank suggestions under advisement. Marta's head is way too big to fit on that little gas tank unfortunately. Maybe I should put the ducks/geese from the Oasis on there!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I appreciate everyone's ideas for my motorcycle.
    I am not sure that I can afford a proper clown fish painting. Lindsay,
    please ask Addie and Emma if the Moss Monster is a fair compromise, or maybe
    a picture of Chip? Both of those characters seem like exceelent possibilities.

    matt

    ReplyDelete
  4. Glad to see Megan that you are weighing in on the vote. Addie appreciates your support:) Matt, if you don't act quickly with the painting of the clown fish, Addie may ask you to put an Ode to Cubbie Bear mural on your bike....see, things could get worse. Since mom and dad are not avaliable for commenting on this one, I'm going to throw out there a picture of the two of them-in honor of their 41st anniversary :) Love you Matt, and can't wait to see the finished product!

    ReplyDelete
  5. So Moss Monster is a no go? Addie also needs to know that Cub is not interested in being the subject of a mural.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Well, how about since you are a CAL grad, having a GOBEARS or something like that, Matt. Something in Blue and Gold reminiscent of your Water Polo Days.

    I got a kick out of seeing the Chevelle in your picturs too. Maybe a teal blue color to match Grandpa's car??????????????

    Hmmmm or maybe Marty and Martha pictured on their own Harley's........ with a backdrop of Teal Blue. I think LIndsay can figure this out with her skills.....

    ReplyDelete